Tres Besos Homestead
Vacation Rentals, Fermented Foods, Permaculture Design, Chinese Medicine….
What we do…
Diane & Larry are the current stewards and care-givers, of the one acre food forest we call Tres Besos…
…we offer one (1) “vacation” rental & diet education while enjoying gardening, eating & sharing home grown food from the food forest where we live.
Moving to Mexico has helped us realize that borders only serve to separate the common people and benefit the money-hoarders.
Fermented food is one of our passions: We make our own salsas, kombucha, tepache, sauerkraut & some bread”. People generally eat more fermented foods than they realize:
- real mayonnaise (not brand)
- cheese, kefir, kombucha
- yogurt, relishes, chutney
- Worcestershire, ketchup,
- soy sauce, miso, tempeh …
- Pickles = “pickled”= vinegar solution.
Permaculture Design (PCD), humane ideals & Chinese Medicine (includes pre-med western science) inform our holistic outlook on Life.
Diane: BS in Psychology & Biology, Master TCM (MTCM).
Larry: BS Solar Design, MTCM, Certified Permaculture Designer, Tai Qi practitioner.
Our ongoing education is facilitated by community radio and our own follow up studies & research.
We encourage everyone to listen to & become a supporting member of local community radio &/or Pacifica, KPFA, 94.1 FM, – Berkeley, CA founded 1949
Short-term “vacation” rental accommodations
Visit our Bookshop page. Support local booksellers
- sustainable garden based on native, perennial plants.
- canopy: nut, fruit & native trees.
- understory: native, culinary, medicinals, food, flowers.
- soil: mostly fungal mycelium, bacteria, insects, plant debris in a sandy clay loam matrix.
- local native plants build soil & provide habitat for local wildlife.
- life depends on healthy soil
- fungal mycelium maintains healthy ecosystems thru integrated communications & nutrient distribution
- compost everything
- We can all aspire to BE compost one day.
Eat Whole Foods, mostly vegetables, & not too much.Michael Pollan
Our version: Eat Cooked & Fermented, Whole Foods, mostly Veg, some meat/animal fat, broth, not too much.
- cooked & fermented veggies
- cooked dark leafy greens
- small amt of fruit
- small amt raw veg
- small amt of various meats
- moderate amt various animal fats
- butter/eggs, all you want
- bone broth daily alone or cooked in food like rice or sauces, etc….
- small amt soaked, roasted nuts
- ferment all grains & legumes
- very small amt seed (veg) oils – easy rancidity of the “Omega” (PUFA) oils
- All oils & animal products organic/from trusted clean, humane sources
- AVOID industrial, factory “farmed” animal products & seed oils
Our idea of affluence:
- community food forest
- culinary & medicinal herbs, Chinese Medicine
- loving, supportive family & friends
- active community
- worker-owned business.
- rural living
- local, diverse small farms
- create & use humanure
- continuous learning & sharing of materials, food, honest knowledge
- optimal diet = optimal health
- participate in fun outdoor activities.
- Lots of DIY projects
- a small town we can enjoy year round & accommodate friends, family, guests, clients.
- all services within 2 miles
- Sunset walks
- Bike riding
- Become compost: allow our corpses to be recycled into nutrients i.e. digested by soil microbes
“Sim’s Hill Shared Harvest” is a great example of “Think Globally, Act Locally”, utilizing PCD principles like Zones 2-4 via a CSA model. This is how we can eliminate the need to ship food more than a few miles. A CSA in every major neighborhood could feed most people locally.
Please read about the Kogi,
- Learn the most important lesson we, “the younger brothers”, of the “industrialized world” can learn.
- watch their film
- heed their advice.
Diane & Larry met in Chinese Medical school in 1994, married & worked together in North Central Washington for 14 years, then moved to Todos Santos in January 2013.
Get In Touch
- +52 (612) 154 6064
- +52 (612) 219 5189
Email is best or text to Méxicano cell
Todos Los Santos Baja California Sur, México, 23300
Baja is the Original California
🌎 ¡Vive La Madre Tierra! 🌎
🇲🇽 ¡ViveMéxico! 🇲🇽
Copyright © 2014-2023
Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.